Provincial Offence Violations (Other Tickets)

Other tickets include but are not limited to driving offences, By-law tickets, summons, red light cameras, etc. For more information about POA tickets, please view the “Where to find your ticket or infraction number” section on this page.

Pay the fine

Expect a delay for Automated Speed Enforcement and Red Light Camera tickets.  It may take up to a week from the day you received an infraction before it can be paid online. 

Pay your fine online

  • VISA, MasterCard and American Express are accepted.
  • Prepaid or reloadable credit cards or gift cards cannot be used.
  • In order to protect the identity of our clients and safeguard the City of Ottawa’s assets, a service charge applies to each ticket payment in addition to any other service charge applied by your financial institution. Fees payable are calculated based on 1.75% of the ticket amount owing to a maximum of $3.00 service charge applies per ticket in addition to any other service charge applied by your financial institution.


In-person payments for current and overdue fines are accepted at any of our Provincial Offences Court Offices

In-Person Appointments (Overdue fines only)

If you would like to discuss your overdue fine(s) sent to Collections in person, you may book an appointment or visit Revenue Services on the fourth floor of 100 Constellation Drive during the hours listed below. Please have your fine number(s) available upon booking. Note: if your fine(s) are not overdue and not with Collections, your appointment will be cancelled.

Appointments and walk-ins are available at the following times:

  • Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. (September through May)
  • Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. (June through August)

For more information on matters regarding Collections, or for assistance using the online booking tool, please contact the Provincial Offences Collections section at 613-580-2638. For Automated Speed Enforcement and Red-Light Camera Infractions please call 613-580-3310.

By mail

Send your payment to:

City of Ottawa - Provincial Offence Payment Office
P.O. Box 4579, Station A
Toronto, Ontario M5W 0L9

When sending a payment in the mail:

  • We only accept cheques or money orders by mail
  • Cheques and money orders are payable to the City of Ottawa. You must include the ticket number on your payment method.
  • Cash or credit card payments are not accepted by mail
  • Payments are credited only when received and processed, not the postmarked date

By telephone

Only overdue and/or defaulted Provincial Offence Act fines that are now in collections can be paid by telephone. Fines that are not past due can be paid using any of the other options listed above.

To pay an overdue camera-related infraction that is in collections, such as an automated speeding offence or a red-light camera offence, call 613-580-3310.

To pay all other overdue Provincial Offence Act fines that are in collections, such as Highway Traffic Act violations or noise complaints, call 613-580-2638.

Staff are available at these numbers Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m from September through May and from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. from June through August.

For parking tickets, please call the automated payment system at 613-738-7719, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 


Plea of Guilty with Submissions as to Penalty

IMPORTANT NOTICE - This service will not be available on July 22 and July 26, 2024 due to the intake court being closed. 

Come in person with your ticket to submit a "Plea of guilty with Submissions as to Penalty" at 100 Constellation Drive.  Hours of operation are Monday to Friday, except holidays, from 9:00 am to 12:00 (noon) or 1:30 to 3:30 pm. Expect delays on Tuesdays.

Requesting a trial date or a meeting with the prosecutor


If you would like to request a trial date, please complete the Notice of Intention to Appear (NIA) form.

By mail

Complete the back of your ticket and send to:

Provincial Offences Act Office
100 Constellation Drive, 1st floor
Ottawa, Ontario K2G 6J8

Trial Request Updates

If your request for trial is approved, you will receive a trial date in the mail. To find out the status of your case, please visit the Provincial Court Look-up Tool.

Clients who have requested and received a Notice of Trial will have the option of presenting themselves in-person or virtually for their scheduled matters. Please visit the Court appearance information page for more details.

Notify the court of a change of address

If you submitted a request for a trial and have since moved, you must notify the court of your new address as soon as possible. 

Other Court Services

Extension of Time to Pay

If you require more time to pay your fine you may submit a Motion for Extension of Time to Pay Fine. Your application will be carefully reviewed by a local Justice of the Peace before it is granted or denied.

This process can take up to 10 business days. You may verify the status of your Extension application by using the City of Ottawa’s Look-Up Tool.

Applications can also be submitted in person at 110 Laurier Avenue City Hall, 100 Constellation Drive Mary Pitt Centre or 255 Centrum Boulevard (Orleans Service Centre). 

Reopening A Matter

If you would like to reopen a matter for which you have been convicted, you must attend in person at 100 Constellation Drive to submit a Request for Reopening

Your application will be carefully reviewed by the Clerk of the Court. This process can take up to 10 business days.  You may verify the status of your Reopening by using the City of Ottawa's Look-Up Tool.


Disclosure refers to a "disclosure package" which is provided by the Prosecution Office to the accused person or their agent/lawyer.  The package usually includes the charge, officers notes, witness statements, and other information gathered by the enforcement agency during their investigation such as pictures, recordings and other things.

If you have a trial and/or first attendance meeting scheduled, you can make a request for disclosure by submitting the online disclosure request


A court transcript is a verbatim report of the conversation that occurs during a trial.

Clients requiring a copy of their court transcript can do so by accessing the Authorized Court Transcriptionists for Ontario website  Once the client has chosen the ACT, the ACT and the ordering party will agree to all aspects of the transcript order including fees, terms of payment, availability to prepare and certify the transcript, the required timeframe and any specific delivery requirements.

Notify the court of a change of address

If you submitted a request for a trial and have since moved, you must notify the court of your new address as soon as possible. 

More Information

For more information, please call the Provincial Offences Act Office by dialing 3-1-1, and choosing option 3.