This site uses JavaScript. Please enable JavaScript in your Browser and reload the page to view the full site.

Temporary construction related encroachments (TCEs)

Use of City property for the purposes of storing materials, equipment or other on, above or below the road, boulevard or sidewalk requires a Temporary Construction Related Encroachment (TCE) permit. Temporary Construction Related Encroachments are issued under the authority of the City of Ottawa’s Encroachment By-Law 2003-446.

Examples of projects requiring a TCE include the following:

  • Walk-through scaffolding (covered walkways)
  • Hoisting with mobile crane, helicopter or boom truck
  • Pumping of concrete/Concrete mixers
  • Portable moving containers/flexible moving and storage systems
  • Roll off or disposal bin in roadway or public laneway (“dumpster”)
  • Tower cranes (Commercial liability insurance is required)
  • Bucket trucks, and articulated booms and scissor lifts
  • Deliveries, loading and unloading

Please note that the City does not provide Temporary Construction Related Encroachment Permits for the purposes of parking personal and/or contractor vehicles. Contractor vehicles must comply with the Traffic and Parking By-Law, as amended, including unposted time limits.

In deciding whether to grant a Temporary Construction-Related Encroachment permit, the City shall consider the effect of the proposed encroachment on the movement and safety of vehicles and pedestrians, any public service, parking, the possible future uses of city property, and any other factors deemed relevant in the circumstances. Additionally, permits may be limited to part of the day only, to specified days, or to times otherwise deemed appropriate by the City.

A Temporary Construction-Related Encroachment permit shall be granted for a period not exceeding three (3) months and may be renewed for further periods not exceeding three (3) months for each renewal. Permits may be revoked at any time at the discretion of the City.

For larger and/or more complex projects requiring sidewalk or road closures, a Temporary Road Closure Application may also be required.

Permit requirements:

  • Sketch or plan of the location and dimensions of the encroachment
  • Length of time/duration of the temporary encroachment
  • A Traffic Control Plan and traffic control devices may be required in accordance with Ontario Traffic Manual Book 7
  • Fee
  • Municipal approval
  • Indemnification agreement

How to apply and application process:

Step 1: Review the permit requirements and collect all information

Step 2: Contact 3-1-1 to begin the application

Step 3: A Traffic Management Inspector will connect with you to discuss the needs of your project – a site meeting may be required

Step 4: Permit processed by City staff

Step 5: City staff contact applicant for permit payment and pick-up.

Step 6: Submit payment, and indemnity agreement to the ROW Permit Office

Step 7: Permit applicant signs the permit and final permit is issued.

Applicants also must include an agreement to indemnify and save harmless the City from any and all claims, demands, causes of action, loss, costs or damages that the City may suffer, incur or be liable for, resulting from the performance of the applicant.

Permit renewals:

Permits may be renewed at the discretion of the City. Please allow a minimum of two business days for processing. A permit processing fee will apply for the renewal.

Permit fees:

Most up-to-date fees are posted in the Encroachment By-Law 2003-446. Fees are adjusted annually pending Council approval.

2021 Permit fees:

Each permit is subject to a $68.00 permit processing fee.

Surface Encroachment/Construction Related

  • Rental on boulevard - $0.75/m2/day
  • Rental on sidewalk or roadway - $1.75/m2/day
  • Minimum rental charge - $35.00 daily

Aerial – Residential and Commercial

  • Permit processing fee - $68.00

Walkthrough scaffold

  • Permit processing fee - $68.00

Renewal fee

  • Permit processing fee - $68.00

Processing time

The City requires a minimum of 10 business days processing time. Processing timelines will increase depending on project complexity, location, other factors including adjacent works, and if temporary parking removal is required.

Questions? Please contact for more information.FAQ:

How long does it take to issue the permit?

  • A minimum of 10 business days is required to issue the permit.

What are the requirements for notification?

  • More information is available on notification at the Road Activity Notification page

Can I place a container or material in a parking spot?

  • It may be possible. After the application is submitted, a Traffic Management Inspector will contact you to discuss. If parking is to be temporarily removed, a minimum of four business days notice is required.

Where can I get a copy of my permit?

  • You can get a copy from the Right of Way permit office – contact with the permit location, dates of the encroachment and name of the contractor in the subject line for more information.

I haven’t heard from the permit office for payment is there someone I can contact via phone or email?

What do I do with the permit when I receive it?

  • The Temporary Construction Related Encroachment permit should be posted prominently on the exterior of the Encroachment area. At a minimum, the permit should be available on site and able to be produced upon request.

Do moving vehicles require an encroachment permit?

  • If the residential or commercial moving vehicle, truck or van abides by existing parking regulations, it does not require a permit. Anything outside of existing parking regulations other than a no parking zone requires an encroachment permit. If a portable storage container uses any part of the right of way, for loading/unloading and/or is parked in the right of way, a temporary construction related encroachment permit is required.

How much does it cost for an encroachment permit?

  • The fees for Temporary Construction Related Encroachment permits can be found in the Encroachment By-Law 2003-446, as amended.

There is snow in my encroachment area; who is responsible to remove the snow?

  • The permit holder is responsible for removing snow from the encroachment area and ensuring all walkways and pedestrian throughways are clear. Please refer to the City of Ottawa’s winter maintenance standards.

Who is responsible for blocking off the area to ensure area is available for my encroachment permit?

  • Although the City may place temporary signage, the permit holder is responsible for ensuring that the space is free the day that the permit is active.

Someone is parked in my encroachment area – what do I do?

  • By-law services needs to attend to the situation. Please contact 311 for action.

Who is responsible for the traffic control for an encroachment? (Signs, pylons etc.) Does the City provide the traffic control for the encroachment area?

  • The City does not provide traffic control - All traffic control devices are the permit holder’s responsibility and are to be installed in accordance with all municipal and provincial regulations including but not limited to Ontario Traffic Manual Book 7.

Who sets the fees, are they the same across the City?

  • The fees are set under the Encroachment By-Law 2003-446. The fees are consistent across the City.

I’m getting a crane for lifting my pool/hot tub do I need a permit?

  • Yes. Temporary Construction Related Encroachment Permits are required for cranes, including “genie” lifts and other mobile crane operations.

My pool/landscaper company wants to store material on the city-owned lands and/or use the greenspace behind my house.

  • You will need to apply for a Temporary Construction Related Encroachment Permit. Please review the above requirements and contact 311 to discuss.

My Pool contractor wants to access/egress from the other/back side of my property – who do I call?

  • You will require a Temporary Access Permit (Private Approach) and potentially a Consent to Enter. Please visit the Private Approach (Driveways) website to apply for a permit/discuss your project.