Pay your Ontario Works or social housing overpayment

If you have received Ontario Works or Social Housing benefits and have been overpaid, you will receive a letter from the City. This letter represents the amount that you were overpaid and need to pay back.

If you currently receive Ontario Works, call 3-1-1, then 4 for Social Services or contact your caseworker.

Non-payment may result in further collection activity including litigation.

You will need your Case ID number as shown on your Overpayment Recovery letter.

Note - If your Ontario Works file was last active in another Municipality, please contact your local Ontario Works office for payment options.

Online by Payment Card

Pay Ontario Works/Social Housing Overpayment Online

You may pay the amount owing online with MasterCard, VISA, American Express (AMEX), Mastercard Debit, Visa Debit and Interac Online (RBC (Royal Bank) and TD Canada Trust). A service fee applies to payments $750 or greater at a rate of 1.99% for credit card and Debit card transactions by the service provider, Paymentus. Payments made using Interac Online are charged a flat fee of $0.49. A valid e-mail address is required.

You will need your Case ID and Officer ID (3 digit number in brackets beside the Case ID) from your Overpayment Recovery letter.

Payment Confirmation:

You will receive an on-screen confirmation number and an email receipt which will include the service the third-party provider, Paymentus Corporation.

For more information on Paymentus, please refer to our Paymentus page.

Financial Institution

Most financial institutions offer online, telephone or in-person bill payments. To set up an online or telephone banking payment, use the Case ID shown on your Overpayment Recovery letter as the account number to be paid and Ottawa Overpayment of Ontario Works as the payee. For further assistance, please contact your financial institution.

Please note we do not accept Interac e-transfers.

Canada Post Locations

Cash or Interac debit payments can now be made at any Canada Post store location. You must bring your Overpayment Recovery letter with you for Canada Post to scan your information for payment. A convenience fee of $3.95 (for payment amounts up to $1,000) applies to cover payment handling and processing charges.


This service is currently not available due to COVID-19 closures.

  • Cash, debit or credit card at the Overpayment Recovery office located at 100 Constellation Dr, 4th Floor East, during office hours or;
  • Cash or cheque at any Employment Resource Offices. For locations, please visit the Ontario Works site.

By mail

City of Ottawa, Overpayment Recovery
P.O. Box 3442, STN D,
Ottawa, ON K1P 1J5

Please make cheque(s) payable to City of Ottawa and write your Case ID as shown on the Overpayment Recovery letter on the front of the cheque.

For questions concerning your Overpayment Recovery letter or for further assistance:

Please contact Overpayment Recovery at 613-580-2896. Hours of operations are weekdays, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm (June to August, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm) or by e-mail at