About the facility
The West Carleton Client Service Centre at 5670 Carp Road in the city’s rural west end is the site of the new West Carleton Community Complex.
The West Carleton Community Complex will ultimately house two indoor rinks, beginning with the first ice pad being operational in 2007. It has an outdoor soccer/sports field, paramedic post, a daycare and other facilities that complement the existing municipal services offered at the West Carleton Client Service Centre. Multipurpose space for rentals, offices and meeting rooms will also be integrated in the existing Complex.
The single-pad arena has:
- An NHL-sized ice pad (200’ x 85’)
- Seating capacity of 200-250
- Four full-sized dressing rooms (min. 325 sq ft each)
- Dressing rooms for both males and females (min. 175 sq ft each)
- One referee dressing room (min. 175 sq ft)
- Public washrooms
- Lobby and concession areas
- Ice resurfacing, refrigeration, mechanical/electrical and storage/utility room(s)
- On-site water storage tank for fire fighting
The new Paramedic Post has:
- Vehicle access to its facility with drive-through garage bay and unobstructed access to either Carp Road or Kinburn Side Road
- One garage bay
- Mechanical area
- Two washrooms
- Living space with one office, small kitchen area, and rest area
How the partnership works
- The Morley Hoppner Group undertook the above work at a fixed price of $8.3 million of which $2.8 million came from existing capital accounts in Community and Protective Services. The remaining $5.5 million is to be debt financed by the City.
- CSMI will operate and manage the complex, providing day to day, maintenance, landscaping and snowploughing services.
- The property and all buildings will continue to be owned by the City.
- The term of the agreement with the private sector partners is for 20 years.
- The City will purchase 800 hours of prime ice time between September 1 and April 15 annually. The initial rate will be $195/hour.
- The City will resell the 800 hours to users at current City rates.
- CSMI will maximize revenue opportunities through programming and selling the remaining ice hours, leasing the surplus office space in the complex, and selling advertising and sponsorship at the arena and the complex.
- CSMI, will set its own fees for programs, leases and services offered.
- CSMI will receive an annual base management fee of $75,000 with an escalation clause.
- The City will pay $164,000 annually towards operating costs for the space it uses in the complex.
- An additional management success fee will be provided to the private-sector partner if they successfully reduce the facility’s projected annual operating shortfall.
Committee and council reports
Along the path towards completion of new city facilities under Public-Private Partnerships, there are a number of reports presented to various Committees and Council, which form the basis for decisions about location, scope, budgets, timelines and other issues related to the facility. You can review the reports related to the West Carleton Community Complex, as follows:
26 June 2002
1 March 2005
P3 for New Arena Facility in West Carleton
8 June 2005
Zoning – 5670 Carp Road
What is the West Carleton Community Complex?
The West Carleton Community Complex is a municipal facility which houses an indoor rink, an outdoor soccer/sports field, paramedic post, a daycare and other innovative facilities to complement the existing municipal services offered at the West Carleton Client Service Centre in the city’s rural west end.
How big is the soccer field at the West Carleton Community Complex?
Details of the West Carleton Community Complex’s outdoor sports field will be available when the private-sector partner’s final proposal is accepted by the City later this year.
Where is the West Carleton Community Complex located?
The West Carleton Community Complex is located at 5670 Carp Road in the city’s rural west end. View a map to the West Carleton Arena and paramedic post.
What types of activities does the West Carleton Community Complex support?
The West Carleton Community Complex supports all kinds of regular and tournament ice sports such as hockey, figure skating, ringette, skating lessons, sledge hockey and broomball, as well as many sports that can be played on the ice pads without ice, such as floor-ball (ball hockey), roller hockey, arena flag football. The outdoor sports field also supports a wide range of regular and tournament field sports including soccer, football, rugby, cricket, lacrosse, Ultimate and more.
The West Carleton Client Service Centre continues to provide its existing services which complement the functions of the new paramedic post and the police and fire services which are also operating out of this new complex.
Finally, a privately owned and operated daycare has been added to facility to provide additional childcare services to the residents of the West Carleton area.
How do I contact the West Carleton Community Complex?
The West Carleton Community Complex will include the current West Carleton Client Service Centre at 5670 Carp Road. Visit the City's online contacts page for the latest contact info.