Employment and financial assistance
Financial support for individuals who need urgent help
Applications for Ontario Works are completed online or over the phone. To apply:
Go to the online application for Ontario Works
- Or call toll free 1-888-999-1142 Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 5 pm. Toll free TTY: 1-800-387-5559.
Applications for emergency assistance are completed online or over the phone. To apply:
- Go to the online application for emergency assistance
- Or call 3-1-1, select 1 for English, 4 for Social Services, then 3
Applications for Essential Health and Social Supports (EHSS) program are completed over the phone. To apply:
- Call 3-1-1, select 1 for English, 4 for Social Services, then 3
Ongoing Ontario Works clients - call us!
Starting June 7, all Employment and Social Service Offices will resume:
- In-person service, by appointment only, and
- Limited counter service from 9 am to 3 pm
- 370 Catherine Street
- 100 Constellation Drive
- 2020 Walkley Road
- 2339 Ogilvie Road
- For all other services, staff will continue to provide telephone or email support from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday to Friday.
- Call your case worker or call 3-1-1, select 1 for English, 4 for Social Services, then 2 for supports available to update your file.
- Visit ontario.ca/mybenefits to get payment information, report income or change your address. For help to register, call 1-888-999-6130 or your case worker.
- Ontario Works claimants do not need to drop off documents, including income reporting statements. Those documents can be dropped off at a later date.
Social Services Hub activities remain closed to the general public; Employment Ontario virtual workshops and employment coaching are available by virtual appointment only. Visit Help finding a job or Employment Ontario to book an appointment.
Local community supports
- Call 2-1-1 or go online and search by topic for income support and referrals to local community, social, government and health services.
Ontario Works social assistance
Are you an Ontario works client? Sign up for direct deposit!
A new online service for social assistance recipients.
Fast. Easy. Secure.
Get payment information, view letters and report income or address changes – anytime, anywhere, and on any device.
You can use the MyBenefits service if you have an email address. Register today at Ontario.ca/MyBenefits
For more information talk to your case worker or call the MyBenefits InfoLine at 1 888 999-6130.
Help for people not receiving financial assistance
The Essential Health and Social Supports (EHSS) program helps Ottawa residents who cannot afford to pay for items or services needed to maintain their housing and for health items that are not available through other programs.
Help paying for health services
Help finding a job
Help for Ontario Works participants and the general public to prepare for, find and keep a job.
Help for people with a disability
Help paying your hydro bill
Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP)
If you receive money from Ontario Works or the Ontario Disability Support Program or are in a lower-income home, you can save $35 to $75 on your electricity bill every month. If you pay an electricity bill directly, you can receive a monthly credit on your bill. The amount of the credit will depend on how many people live in your house and your combined household income.
You can apply for the OESP online. To learn more:
- Visit the Ontario Electricity Support website
- Call 1-855-831-8151
Help saving for child's education
Did you know you might be able to get up to $2000 from the federal government to help pay for your child’s future education? The money you get will not affect your Ontario Works or ODSP payments. And you do not need to add any of your own money. To see if you qualify and to apply for the Canada Learning Bond, visit smartsaver.org.
Find a computer
Do you need to use a computer?
View this map for all computers available to the public.
This list gives you the name, the address, the hours of operation and any access criteria.
Reporting Ontario Works fraud
Do you know someone who is getting money from Ontario Works that should not?
While there are many people who honestly need our help, there are some who take unfair advantage of social assistance programs. We are committed to making sure these programs are provided to those who need it the most.
If you want to report welfare fraud, the City will take you very seriously. We will investigate every case and act, where appropriate.
Who to contact if you suspect fraud?
If the person lives inside the city of Ottawa:
- Make your report online or
- Call 613-580-2424 ext. 14784
If the person lives outside the city of Ottawa:
- Make your report online or
- Call 1-800-394-7867 or
- Email, fax or mail your report to the provincial Welfare Fraud Hotline (see bottom of online form for contact information)
Staff are bound by the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. They cannot discuss the results of a fraud investigation with the person who filed the complaint.
Sign up for our eNewsletter
Would you like to receive news about our programs and services through your email? If so, sign up for our Employment and Social Services e-newsletter. Each month, you will get an email with information on things like:
- Finding a job
- Job fairs
- Programs and services
- And more
All we need is your name (optional) and an email address. Sign up! If you no longer want to receive the newsletter, you can unsubscribe at any time.