- Keep track of how much garbage you put at the curb and what items you are often throwing out
- Set recycling and composting goals for your household, workplace, event, or in your personal life
- Buy in bulk to reduce packaging and avoid individually wrapped items
- Purchase durable, reusable, and refillable items
- Print on both sides of paper
- Bring reusable mugs and bottles to quench your thirst and always pack a reusable shopping bag
- Find ways to reduce everyday items like bubble-wrap, foam peanuts, wrapping paper, ribbons, string, rubber bands, twist-ties, and paper clips
- Shop at second-hand stores and donate your used items if they're still in good condition
- Learn more about recycling and composting programs so you can divert waste from the landfill
- Check out the City of Ottawa's Waste Explorer to find out how to dispose of items properly
- Several household items can be taken back for reuse or recycling to more than 575 retailers in the Ottawa area. Visit the Waste Explorer for a retailer near you.
Interested in finding out more?
Invite the Public Works and Environmental Services outreach team to provide a presentation about Ottawa’s green bin and recycling programs to your school or community group! All presentations are subject to audience size and outreach team availability.