Getting a marriage licence

A marriage licence is required to get married in Ontario.

  • The licence is valid for 90 days from the issued date.
  • The licence is valid for use anywhere in the province of Ontario.

Expired licences

Important: The Province has extended the expiry date for marriage licences. For more information please visit the ServiceOntario webpage

Date issued Valid until
December 1, 2019 to July 24, 2020 July 24, 2022
July 25, 2020 to September 30, 2020 3 months from the date issued (not extended)
October 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020 February 10, 2023
January 1, 2021 to June 4 2021 June 4, 2023
November 1, 2021 to February 24 2022 February 24 2024

 Note: The validity period for foreign divorce authorizations issued by the Office of the Registrar General has also been extended for the same duration as the extended marriage licence validity periods noted above.


  • There are no gender, residency, citizenship or medical requirements when applying for a marriage licence.
  • Anyone over the age of 16 years old can get married in Ontario. If you are 16 - 18 (less a day) years of age, parental consent is required.

What you need


Each applicant must provide two (2) original* and valid* pieces of government-issued identification.

Information listed on both pieces must compliment each other and must be in French or English. If not, an official translation is required.

*If the original documents cannot be provided, certified true copies are also accepted.

Primary ID to establish citizenship must include: (Each applicant must have at least 1 piece of primary identification)

  • Full name (including change of name certificates, if applicable)
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth

Common examples include: birth certificates, passports, Permanent Resident card, Canadian travel documents (Refugee Travel Document, Certificate of Identity and Record of Immigrant Landing), etc.

Secondary ID to establish identity (photo ID) must include:

  • Full name (including change of name certificates, if applicable)
  • Date of birth
  • Photo
  • Signature

Common examples include: Driver’s Licence, Ontario Photo card, National Identity card, Possession and Acquisition License, etc.

Identification that will Not be accepted: SIN cards, library cards, employee/student badges, etc.

Previously married applicants

You must submit official proof of divorce when you apply for a marriage licence. The divorce certificate must also be provided to the in-person appointment.

If you have been divorced in Canada

You must provide the original, a court-certified copy or digital* of a:

  • Final decree
  • Certificate of divorce

*Digital divorce documents are only accepted when:

  • accompanied by the email from the Court House that issued the document, or
  • accompanied by the lawyer's email

A Decree Nisi, Divorce Order or Judgement will NOT be accepted. These documents must be in French or English. If not, an official translation is required.

A court-certified copy may be obtained from the court office that granted the divorce. If you do not know where your divorce was granted you can contact: Central Registry of Divorce Proceedings,1-613-957-4519.

If you have been divorced outside of Canada (out-of-country divorce)

You must provide a letter of authorization provided by the Office of the Registrar General. This process can take up to 4 weeks.

For more information, contact the Marriage Office at 1-800-461-2156 (toll-free) or visit Service Ontario.

Widowed applicant

No documentation is required for widowed partners.


The City of Ottawa charges a $182.00 (HST exempt) (2024) service fee for a marriage license, which you can pay for by cash, cheque, Interac or credit card. Marriage license fees are non-refundable.


Marriage Licences are available by appointment only.

To get a marriage licence appointment:

Note: Only one applicant is required to be present to obtain a marriage licence. If only one applicant is present, they will be required to show 2 pieces of identification for themselves, and 2 pieces of identification for their partner.