Problematic properties

On this page

What is a Problematic Property?

A problem property is a specific occupied or unoccupied address which is the location of ongoing nuisances and disturbances to neighbours and has a history of complaints related to crime and disorder, which affect ongoing community wellbeing. These properties often pose health, safety or fire risks and concerns to the surrounding community.

Problem properties include:

  • History of repeated violations and/or deliberate non-compliance by property owners or tenants including neglect, disrepair, or safety concerns
  • Properties posing an immediate health or fire risk
  • Unsecured vacant or abandoned properties
  • Known ongoing criminal activities taking place at the property
  • Properties requiring a coordinated response from several agencies (By-law and Regulatory Services, Ottawa Fire Services, Ottawa Public Health, Ottawa Police Services, Building Code Services, Community and Social Services, Solid Waste Services)

Problem properties do not include:

  • Properties with simple nuisances and occasional or “one-off” by-law violations (for example, long grass, garbage out too early, etc.)
  • Properties which may have had a violation but complied once made aware of the violation
  • Properties in good condition but may be considered “unattractive”
  • Properties that are in compliance with all City by-laws but are simply vacant

Options for reporting a problem property



Call 3-1-1 to report a concern or problem.

If you witness a crime at a property such as damage, mischief, theft or general property disturbances which may be criminal in nature:

Other property concerns

For concerns with properties that do not meet the description of a problem property, visit the links below for reporting options and additional information:


Encampments on public property may be reported to 3-1-1.

In the case of immediate danger at an encampment, call 9-1-1.


Improperly discarded needles, syringes, crack pipes, and other drug paraphernalia found in our communities will always be an important priority. Property owners are responsible for safely removing discarded needles and other drug paraphernalia from their properties.

By-law and Regulatory Services may attend if the needles are in publicly accessible areas and pose a safety hazard.

Improperly discarded needles may be reported by calling 3-1-1.

Landlord and tenant issues

Landlord and tenant board

The Landlord and Tenant board oversees and resolves disputes between tenants and landlords. The Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 sets out the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants in Ontario.

Phone: 1-888-332-3234

Online: Landlord and Tenant Board | Tribunals Ontario

In person: Ottawa - Eastern Office, 255 Albert Street, 4th Floor, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 6A9

Resources and supports