The City of Ottawa provides two options to landlords to have tenants responsible for water and sewer costs:
1) Bills will remain in the landlord’s name and be issued to either the rental property or his/her mailing address, in his/her name. The landlord makes arrangements with the tenant for payment of the account and the landlord remains solely responsible for any unpaid amounts.
2) Landlords can make arrangements with the City to have the tenant billed directly.
Before you begin
Your request will be processed effective the occupancy date. If this date is in the past, it will not be backdated and will be made effective the date of submission. Both the landlord and the tenant must submit a form to have the tenant billed directly by providing their respective completed form below.
It is the responsibility of the landlord and the tenant to ensure that both forms are filled out correctly and sent within close proximity. Missing or incomplete forms will not be pursued by City staff and the tenant account will not be established until both forms are properly completed and returned. New accounts will be set up effective the date of receipt of the last form if received after the move in date.
Under the terms of this agreement, if the tenant fails to pay, the landlord remains responsible for any unpaid amounts.
What you need
To complete the agreement, you will need:
- property owner’s customer number
- property owner’s account number
- tenant occupancy date
- tenant’s prior address(es), if applicable
- tenant's prior customer number, if applicable
- property management name and agreement, if applicable
A $47 change of ownership/occupancy will be applied to the account.
If there has been no vacancy period between tenancies, your account as registered owner MAY avoid the above noted fee if you have submitted your Authorization Agreement to Bill Tenant forms for the new tenant before the change of occupancy date.
To bill a tenant directly, both the owner and the tenant must complete and submit their respective forms online:
Forms completed online must be signed digitally by the owner or authorized agent and the tenant. Electronic and digital signature on the forms shall be considered as an original signature for all purposes and shall have the same force and effect as the original signature. Mandatory fields must be completed on the forms to facilitate prompt updating of our records and reduce unnecessary costs to landlords and/or tenants.
To complete the forms manually, please fill in the forms above and select the “print” option, then return the completed form to:
100 Constellation Drive, 4th Floor East
Ottawa ON K2G 6J8
Drop off completed Authorization Agreement to Bill Tenant form at one of the secure drop-boxes located outside the main entrances of the following locations:
- Laurier Client Service Centre, 110 Laurier Avenue West
- Nepean Client Service Centre, 101 Centrepointe Drive
- Kanata Client Service Centre, 580 Terry Fox Drive
- Orleans Client Service Centre, 255 Centrum Boulevard
For more information, contact us:
Revenue Services at 613-580-2444 (TTY: 613-580-2401) Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm (June to August, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m). Transactions will be recorded for training and quality assurance.