Small Meter Replacement Project
Water meters are the property of the City of Ottawa and require replacing after their lifecycle – which can be up to 25 years. As a condition of receiving water service under City of Ottawa By-Law, the City will be replacing these ageing water meters to effectively support the delivery and billing of drinking water to households and businesses.
The City of Ottawa has contracted Neptune Technology Group to replace approximately 85,000 ageing small water meters with new high-resolution meters in Ottawa residences. The project will ensure the continued accuracy of water bills and improved reading efficiencies and has commenced in the summer of 2021 and conclude by the end of 2024. There is no charge to customers for the replacement.
Benefits of a new meter
These new water meters will now allow customers to have enhanced online features through My ServiceOttawa, including the ability to:
- View usage data right down to the liter – which can help detect even small leaks
- Sign up for advanced leak and usage alerts, including:
- Continuous usage alerts, which notifies customers when their water meter records usage every hour for seven consecutive days, possibly indicating a water leak or abnormal water usage.
- Daily average usage alerts, which notifies customers when their daily water usage exceeds a daily threshold that they set themselves.
Current wards scheduled for replacements
- 13 - Rideau-Rockcliffe Ward
- 12 - Rideau-Vanier Ward
- 17 - Capital Ward
- 15 - Kitchissippi Ward
- 14 - Somerset Ward
- 09 - Knoxdale-Merivale Ward
- 16 - River Ward
- 03 - Barrhaven Ward
- 22 - Gloucester-South Nepean Ward
- 18 - Alta Vista Ward
- 24 - Barrhaven East Ward
- 10 - Gloucester-Southgate Ward
- 11 - Beacon Hill-Cyrville Ward
- 02 - Orléans West-Innes Ward
- 01 - Orléans East-Cumberland Ward
- 19 - Orléans South-Navan Ward
- 20 - Osgoode Ward
- 08 - College Ward
- 04 - Kanata North Ward
- 05 - West Carleton-March Ward
- 06 - Stittsville Ward
- 07 - Bay Ward
- 21 - Rideau-Jock Ward
- 23 - Kanata South Ward
Affected customers will be notified when it is their turn to have their water meters replaced.
Booking your appointment
Installations will be carried out on a ward by ward basis. As Neptune Technology Group moves into your ward, you will receive a notification containing information on booking your appointment. If you are a tenant, please contact the building owner when you receive this information.
The notifications will provide a unique customer ID that will allow customers to book their own appointments. Once you receive a notice, booking an appointment is quick and easy and can be done either online or through Neptune’s call centre at 1-800-667-4387. Please do not contact Neptune until you have received the notice. Appointments can be made to fit your schedule. Neptune will offer 2-hour appointment windows from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, and 9am to 5pm on Saturdays.
What to expect during your appointment
The replacement time for a new meter is approximately 60 to 90 minutes and will require the water to be shut off and then turned back on by Neptune Technology technicians during that time. Someone from your household who is at least 18 years of age must be at home during the appointment.
Before the arrival of the Neptune Technology technicians, please ensure the area around the existing water meter is clear and accessible and leave ample room for the technicians to work. Your existing shut-off valve should be located where the water service comes into your house.