Demolition Control

When a property owner wishes to demolish all or part of a building, a Demolition Permit is normally issued by Building Code Services along with the building permit for the replacement structure.

However, if no building permit for a replacement building has been issued, Demolition Control approval from the Planning, Real Estate and Economic Development Department may be necessary. Demolition Control approval is required in cases where all of the following are true:

Demolition Control approval is required in cases where all of the following are true:

  • Where no building permit for a new building on the site has been issued; AND
  • Where the demolition will result in the elimination of one or more residential dwelling units; AND
  • Where the building to be demolished is located within the Area of Demolition Control as defined by Schedule 1 of the Demolition Control By-law 2012-377.

Even in cases where all of the above conditions are true, the proposed demolition may still be exempt from Demolition Control approval if:

  • An order to remove the residential property has been issued under the Fire Protection and Prevention Act,1997, S.O. 1997, c.4; OR
  • The residential property has been found to be unsafe under section 15.10 of the Building Code Act, 1992 and an order has been issued under that section.

Before you begin

Before making an application, you should discuss your proposal with staff through a pre-consultation. The pre-consultation process is designed to help promote the exchange of information and development considerations early in the planning process and a customized list of the studies and plans required in support of a development application is provided. If you fail to consult with staff, the City cannot guarantee the completeness or accuracy of your application submission which may result in processing delays.


In most cases, the decision on Demolition Control applications is made under delegated authority from Council. However, when the proposal is to demolish a heritage building or when the Ward Councillor withdraws this delegated authority, the matter will be referred to the Planning and Housing Committee and the recommendation of the Committee then proceeds to City Council, who will make the final decision to approve or refuse the application.

Demolition Control applications are one of five types of applications included within the City’s Guaranteed Application Timeline Initiative (GATI). Since July 1st, 2012, the City of Ottawa has been committed to rendering a decision on certain classes of development applications within the Council approved timeline, in this case 98 days, or else the applicant’s next application of that type will be free of charge.

For additional details on the steps associated with the processing and review of development applications, please refer to the City’s development application process information.


The fee for an application for Demolition Control (effective January 1, 2024) is $5,339.42 (includes $1,028.00 Legal Fee + HST).

Please see additional information related to the City’s Development Application Fees including information on reductions for multiple applications, on-site signs, re-circulations, engineering design review and inspections, fourth and subsequent engineering reviews as well as refunds.


Applications can be submitted to accompanied by required plans, studies and any other information that may be needed to assess your application.

  • Note: If using a file sharing / transfer site to submit supporting documents, please select one that does not restrict access to a single planning staff member or email address.

Demolition Control Application Form

Upon application submission, staff will provide confirmation of the amount due, the specific payment methods available for the application type, and the necessary details for the different payment methods.

Application commissioning, fees and payments

Client Service Centres will continue to offer commissioning services for applications and handle payments for new applications. Please ensure the payer’s name and address are indicated on the cheque.


If you require assistance using an electronic application form please contact a Development Information Officer, located at any of the Client Service Centres. You can make an appointment by calling 3-1-1 and asking to speak with a Development Information Officer.

If you would like to speak with planning staff please contact the appropriate development review Planner III by calling 3-1-1 and providing the address of the property you wish to discuss.