Ottawa Fire Services (OFS) Frequently Asked Questions
What are your user fees? (Fees below include taxes)
- Residential File Search: $113.00
- Commercial File Search: $228.26
- Inspection for residential building 3 stories or less & Inspection for warehouse & other commercial buildings under 5,000 sq ft: $452.00
- Inspection for residential building 4-6 stories & Inspection for warehouse & other commercial buildings between 5,000 – 15,000 sq ft: $723.20
- Inspection for residential building 7-12 stories & Inspection for warehouse & other commercial buildings between 15,000 – 25,000 sq ft: $904.00
- Inspection for residential building 13 stories or higher & Inspection for warehouse & other commercial buildings over 25,000 sq ft: $1,175.20
- Inspections for Daycares, Nurseries, or Group Homes: $119.78
- Fire Summary Reports: $91.53
- Replacement Documentation: $91.53
- Fire Safety Plan: $179.67
- Fire Safety Plan when 3 or more buildings are under 1 address: $518.67
- Fire Drill & Safety Planning Review: $263.29
- Risk Safety Management Plan Review:
- Level 1: $598.90
- Level 2: $1,198.93
14. Marijuana Grow Op Inspections: $598.90
What methods of payment do you accept & where do I go to pay in person?
- We accept cash or cheque by mail (Addressed to: Ottawa Fire Services, Fire Prevention Division, 101 Centrepointe Dr, 3rd floor, Ottawa ON K2G 5K7)
- We accept cash (exact, we cannot provide change), cheque, debit, or credit (Visa, Mastercard & Amex) in person, by appointment only at 101 Centrepointe Dr, 3rd floor. Please contact 613-580-2424 x 15371 or email email@example.com to schedule an appointment. When you arrive to the 3rd floor, dial x 15371 using one of the phones provided (mounted on wall) and we will come and assist you. Unfortunately, we are unable to process your Debit or Credit payment over the phone or online.
- Drop your payment off at 101 Centrepointe Drive, 3rd floor in the Big Silver Mailbox with Fire Prevention written on it.
What are the turnaround times for paid requests?
- Inspections: Within 10 Business Days
- File Search: Within 3 Business Days
- Fire Summary Report: Within 3 Business Days
- Business Licenses: Within 10 Business Days
- Liquor Licenses: Within 10 Business Days
Who do I contact with a Lock Box inquiry?
For information on lock boxes please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-580-2424 x 15371. Please note the lock box must be installed prior to the Fire Prevention Officer’s on site inspection.
How do I make a Fire Safety Plan Request?
For information please contact email@example.com or contact 613-580-2424 x 15371
Where can I find out more about an Agency Letter of Approval & Business Licenses?
Apply for both at any Client Service Centre locations. For more information please visit the Business License Application webpage.
For more information please visit the Agency Letter of Approval business resource.
For more information visit the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) website.
Do you offer birthday party events?
No, although we’d like to wish everyone a Happy Birthday, we are an emergency service that provides educational information such as station tours, fire extinguisher training, and fire safety presentations.
Do you offer fire extinguisher training?
Yes*, free of charge. We visit 1 work location every 6 months.
- Bullex Training: Indoor training all year round
- Tutor Training: Outdoor training held from spring to fall *Please note for the Tutor training you must provide your own fire extinguisher. (One 10lb extinguisher can train 3-4 people)
- For more information please contact the Fire Education Division at 613-580-2424 x 15376 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you offer display tables at events and fairs?
We offer a free display tables at fairs, and events with a Fire Prevention Officer who will promote fire safety and hand out information material. For more information please contact the Fire Education Division at 613-580-2424 x 15376 or at email@example.com
What is the availability of the Fire Safety House & Learning Centre?
Fire Safety House is only available for grade 3-4 students through the spring and fall & The Learning Centre is only available for grade 7-8 students through the spring and fall
For more information please contact the Fire Education department at 613-580-2424 x 15376 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you offer Fire Station Tours?
Yes, minimum of 10 people and a maximum of 25 people per group, this is an educational tour only and does not offer a party room to hold events. For more information please contact the Fire Education Division at 613-580-2424 x 15376 or at email@example.com
Can you send a fire truck to an event?
Yes, if it is a non profit event with a minimum of 50 participants. We require a minimum of two weeks’ notice in order to schedule the trucks.
Friendly reminder: Personnel in the Fire Station are emergency responders and at any time and point may have to leave or may not be present if an emergency occurs.
Do you do Fire Safety Presentations?
Yes for high rises, ESL schools, elementary & high schools, as well as for senior residences. For more information please contact the Fire Education Division at 613-580-2424 x 15376 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you offer Youth Fire Safety Programs?
We offer a Juvenile Fire Setters Program. For more information please contact the Fire Education Division at 613-580-2424 x 15376 or at email@example.com
Does OFS observe Fire Drills?
Yes, fees are applicable; please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-580-2424 x15371 for more information
What is your mailing address?
Ottawa Fire Services
Fire Prevention Division
101 Centrepointe Drive, 3rd floor
Ottawa, ON K2G 5K7
Where can I dispose of fire extinguishers?
Use the Hazardous Waste/ Take it Back Program tool offered by the City of Ottawa to confirm a drop-off location near you.
How do I donate a vehicle to be used for OFS training purposes?
Please visit our Vehicle Donation Program webpage for more information
Do you offer car seat inspections?
No, Fire Services does not offer inspections on car seats. Please see the S.E.A.T.S for kids website for more information or contact Ottawa Public Health (OPH) at 613-580-6744 x 28020.
How do I obtain an Annual Fire Permit or Special Event Fire Permit?
- For annual fire permits please visit any Client Service Centre locations or contact 3-1-1.
- Specific Event Fire Permits cost $50.00 payable by cash, cheque made payable to City of Ottawa, debit, or credit. We require an application form filled out along with written permission from the property owner. Please allow for a 15 business day turnaround prior to your event for a site inspection and to prepare the permit. For more information please contact email@example.com or 613-580-2424 x 15371
Read the Open Air Fire By-law to learn more.
What is allowed for an outdoor fireplace?
- Natural gas or propane fire pits are allowed in urban areas of the city
- No open air fires are allowed within the urban areas of the city, for more information please visit our Outdoor Fireplaces resource on Ottawa.ca.