The 2022 Commemorative Tree Program is now full. The City is now accepting new commemorative tree requests for our 2023 planting season.
The Commemorative Tree Program was established in 1989. The City assists families or groups who wish to have a tree planted in a City park in remembrance or to commemorate a loved one who has passed away.
- Families/groups who are interested in purchasing a commemorative tree can call 3-1-1 to request to participate in the program. A member of Forestry Services will follow up to start the application process.
- The process includes an opportunity for the family/group to choose a park for the tree. If you do not have a park preference, Forestry Services will assist with the selection of a park.
- The coordinator of the program will meet with you at the site to choose the location and the type of tree. The selection is made according to preference, site conditions, and availability.
- Once you have met with the coordinator to confirm the location and tree, they will approve your application.
- The cost of a Commemorative Tree is $400 (plus HST) which includes planting of a 50mm caliper tree and watering for a three-year period. Payment is required after the tree is planted. The City will send the family/group an invoice with payment instructions.
- The tree will be planted in either the spring or fall.
- Consult with the Forestry Services if you wish to install a plaque next to the tree.
- The preferred type is a 10 cm thick flat black polished granite marker with an etched inscription. The plaque will be installed flush with the ground to reduce vandalism and allow access of maintenance equipment.
- Granite plaques may be purchased from a number of monument manufacturers in the Ottawa area. Forestry Services will install the marker at no additional charge.
- The City is not responsible for the maintenance or replacement of commemorative plaques.
Should you require additional information or would like to purchase a commemorative tree, please contact:3-1-1 for more information.