The 2021 Commemorative Tree Program is now full. The City is no longer accepting new requests for this year. Requests for the 2022 edition of the Commemorative Tree Program should resume this fall. Details on how to apply will be posted on this page.
The Commemorative Tree Program was established in 1989. The City assists families or groups who wish to have a tree planted in a City park in remembrance or to commemorate a loved one who has passed away.
- The family/group chooses a park for the tree. If you do not have a park preference, Forestry Services will assist with the selection of a park.
- The coordinator of the program will meet with you at the site to choose the location and the type of tree. The selection is made according to preference, site conditions, and availability.
- The cost of a Commemorative Tree is $400 (plus HST) which includes planting of a 50mm caliper tree and watering for a three year period.
- The tree will be planted in either the spring or fall.
- Consult with the Forestry Services if you wish to install a plaque next to the tree.
- The preferred type is a 10 cm thick flat black polished granite marker with an etched inscription. The plaque will be installed flush with the ground to reduce vandalism and allow access of maintenance equipment.
- Granite plaques may be purchased from a number of monument manufacturers in the Ottawa area. Forestry Services will install the marker at no additional charge.
- The City is not responsible for the maintenance or replacement of commemorative plaques.
Should you require additional information or would like to purchase a commemorative tree, please contact:3-1-1 for more information.
Payments can be made at all City of Ottawa Client Service Centres (CSC) by appointment only. Please select a location to book an appointment time:
If you are mailing in your request please include your invoice along with a cheque, made payable to the City of Ottawa, to the mailing address below:
City of Ottawa, Public Works
C/o Forestry project coordinator name
Forest Management Unit – mail code 12-62
100 Constellation Crescent
Ottawa, ON K2G 6J8