Water billing - overview
The City's water billing staff manages over 250,000 water accounts. Water meter reading information is obtained from radio frequency (RF) transmitters that are located on the exterior of each home, business and facility within municipal boundaries. This information is transmitted through our RF network and used to produce bills, ensuring you are billed based on your actual water usage.
Water utility bills are issued once every two months for most residential properties and every month for larger consumers.
Sign up for a My ServiceOttawa account
My ServiceOttawa is a useful online tool that allows users to manage their water utility bills online, including the ability to:
- View current and previous bills
- View current balance and payment history
- Pay your bill or enroll in the Pre-Authorized Debit plan
- Sign up for paperless billing
- Consult your daily and hourly usage, and compare your monthly usage
- Set up email alerts to notify you of consistent usage over seven consecutive days or when your usage exceeds your average daily use and much more!
Watch this short video to see how My ServiceOttawa can assist you in managing your usage:
Ottawa residents can sign up for paperless billing for water utility bills.
- Receive an email notifying you that your bill is ready for viewing with the amount, due date and link to My ServiceOttawa
- Reduce paper - fewer envelopes, stamps and cheques
- Switch back to paper anytime
It’s easy and free to register for paperless bills
- Sign in to your My ServiceOttawa account.
- If you don't have an account, create one.
- Once you are signed in, click on Water Utility billing under the Services Menu – you’ll need your water account number and balance on last City of Ottawa water utility bill.
- Select yes for paperless billing. You will no longer receive a paper bill in the mail.
Changing your email for paperless bills
It is your responsibility to update your email address through My ServiceOttawa. Your participation in the program will be cancelled if your email notification is returned as undeliverable. If you would like to change the email address that is currently on file with My ServiceOttawa, please follow these instructions.
Water Usage Alerts
Register for Water Usage Alerts
You can sign up through My ServiceOttawa to receive Water Usage Alerts when:
- Your water consumption exceeds your pre-set threshold,
- You have continuous usage over seven consecutive days
- Your consumption exceeds your average monthly use
You can also view monthly, daily, and hourly consumption and compare monthly usage. These tools help property owners better manage their consumption and monitor usage in the fastest and most efficient way possible.
It’s easy and free to register for Water Usage Alerts
- Sign in to your My ServiceOttawa account.
- If you don’t have an account, create one.
- Once you are signed in, click on the Water Utility bill under the Services Menu.
- Once on the account overview, click on the Alert subscription on the left side Menu.
- Register for the Water Usage Alerts by clicking on Yes and entering the preferred Alert Parameters.
- Alert notifications will be sent to the email address you have registered with My ServiceOttawa.
Reading your water utility bill
Your water utility bill has been designed to be user-friendly, easier to read, and easier to understand. It is also issued in your preferred language, English or French. It includes:
- 15-digit customer account number
- Current balance
- Payment due date
- A breakdown of current charges, rates and property information
- Graphs showing current usage and usage history over the past two years
- A dedicated section for special announcements and customer messages.
Choose your language
You can select and change the preferred official language on your water utility bill.
Please go online to My Settings at My ServiceOttawa or call Revenue Services at 613-580-2444 (TTY 613-580-2401) to choose your preferred language.
If you already have a My ServiceOttawa account, your bill will be sent in the official language you have selected for your account. If you would like to receive your bill in the other official language, please go online to My ServiceOttawa or call Revenue Services.
To receive an accessible format (e-text, large print or Braille) of your billing documents, please contact Revenue Services at 613-580-2444, (TTY: 613-580-2401).
In Person Services
Please be advised that the Revenue Services Front Counter is appointment-based only, and appointments are available to book on a first come first serve basis. Please have your property tax roll number or water utility customer-account number available upon booking.
Appointments are available at the following times:
- Monday to Friday, 8:30-4:30 pm (September through May)
- Monday to Friday, 8:30 – 4 pm (June through August)
To book, modify or cancel an appointment online, please visit City of Ottawa Revenue Services (frontdesksuite.ca).
There is no cost to book an appointment with Revenue Services, however, please be advised that fees may apply depending on the type of service requested. For more information please visit Water Utility Rates & Fees or Paying your taxes. Please also be advised that our office is only accepting cheque payments at this time.
For more information or for assistance using the online booking tool, please contact Revenue Services at 613-580-2444.