October 7 — Next Online Hearings — Panel 1, Panel 2, Panel 3 – Also Livestreamed on Our New YouTube Channel
Because of the backlog of applications due to several cancelled hearings during the COVID-19 State of Emergency, the Committee is balancing the agendas between the three panels. Applications usually assigned to one panel may be assigned to another to help reduce the backlog more quickly. Please consult all three agendas.
Future Online Hearings according to the Public Hearings Schedule
Submitting an Application – Appealing a Decision – Obtaining a Certificate – Time for Fulfilling Provisional Consent Conditions
- Offices are closed to the public and Committee staff are working remotely to process applications.
- You can continue to contact Committee staff by email (email@example.com), phone (613-580-2436), and regular mail (101 Centrepointe Drive, 4th Floor, Ottawa ON K2G 5K7).
- You can continue to submit your application by regular mail, along with a cheque for the applicable fee. Committee staff will review your application and confirm whether it is complete and ready to be assigned a hearing date.
- You can continue to submit an appeal of a Committee of Adjustment decision by regular mail along with the applicable fee (refer to the instructions in the decision for details on how to proceed). Please also email us your intent to file an appeal.
- You can continue to submit a request for a certificate by email or regular mail if conditions of approval have been cleared by the appropriate authorities.
- The Province terminated—as of June 22, 2020—the suspension of the one-year period for fulfilling conditions of provisional consent. This adds 97 days to the original lapse date for a provisional consent. According to the City’s Legal Services, calculating the new expiry or lapse date is as follows:
- For any provisional consent expiring on or after March 17, 2020 (when the Province declared the State of Emergency) but before June 22, 2020, count the number of days between March 17, 2020 and the original expiry date, including March 17. The new expiry date is June 22 plus the number of counted days. For example, if a provisional consent originally expired on March 18, 2020, an applicant ought to have fulfilled the conditions by June 24 (March 17 to March 18 is two days if March 17 is included, thus June 22 + 2 days = June 24).
- For any provisional consent expiring after June 22, 2020, add 97 days (i.e. the number of days between March 17, 2020 and June 22, 2020) to the former expiry date.
In-person Appointments (Ben Franklin Place or City Hall)
For clients wishing to submit applications, provide payment and/or Commissioning of the Application(s) in person, at either Ben Franklin Place or City Hall, an appointment must be scheduled. Choose one of the links below to access the appointment scheduler. If you are unsure as to what fees apply, please contact the Committee of Adjustment office directly via phone (613-580-2436) or email firstname.lastname@example.org to verify your payment amount prior to booking your appointment. Note, clients will not be able to enter Ben Franklin Place or City Hall without an appointment. Also, effective July 15, 2020, masks are required to be worn in enclosed public spaces at City of Ottawa facilities as per the Temporary Mandatory Mask By-law.
Remote Participation with Online Hearings
- The Committee of Adjustment is conducting hearings using Zoom videoconferencing by computer, mobile device, and telephone. Proceedings are also livestreamed via the Committee of Adjustment’s YouTube channel. You can also contact email@example.com to obtain the link.
- You can submit written comments on an application by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can also submit verbal comments in advance of the hearing (before noon (12 p.m.) the Monday before the hearing). Call the Coordinator (613-580-2436) to have your comments transcribed.
- You can register to speak on an application by contacting the Coordinator before 4 p.m. the Monday before the hearing. Once registered, you will be provided the Zoom hearing details and password to join the hearing.
- Participants must email visuals such as a PowerPoint presentation to the Coordinator by 4 p.m. the Monday before the hearing.
- For more information, contact the Coordinator at email@example.com or 613- 580-2436.