The Essential Health and Social Supports (EHSS) program helps Ottawa residents who cannot afford to pay for items or services needed to maintain their housing and for health items that are not available through other programs. EHSS may help to pay for things like:
- Urgent dental care and dentures
- Eye exams and glasses
- Fuel/gas/hydro arrears, deposits and reconnection fees
- Rent arrears and deposits
- Assistive Devices Program (ADP) 25% consumer contribution
- Bathroom aids
- Surgical and diabetic supplies
- Cremations and burials
Who can get EHSS?
If you receive or earn a low income and have limited savings, we may be able to help. If you are receiving Ontario Works or ODSP, you should talk to your case worker. A case worker must first approve your application. The City of Ottawa will not pay for an item or service that has already been purchased.