Changes to social housing rules
Changes to the Wait List Rules for RGI Housing under the Housing Services Act, 2011. As of January 1, 2020, if you are applying for rent-geared-to-income (RGI) housing you will only receive one (1) offer of housing. If you refuse the one (1) offer, your application on the wait list will be cancelled and your file will be closed.
Please keep your application up to date. This includes your phone number, email address and your housing preferences. For more information, please contact the Social Housing Registry of Ottawa.
Changes to Rent Calculations for RGI Housing under the Housing Services Act, 2011
Everyone in receipt of rent-geared-to-income (RGI) assistance is moving to a simplified rent calculation process this year. The RGI rent will be based on your annual income tax information.
Starting January 1, 2020 all rent-geared-to-income households will be required to file income taxes each year.
For more information, please contact your housing provider.
Facts at a glance:
- The City’s Housing Services branch administers and funds social housing in Ottawa
- There are about 22,500 social housing units
- Rental rates for those in receipt of rent-geared-to-income (RGI) assistance within social housing are typically set according to the renter’s income, with households paying no more than 30 per cent of their income towards rent
- There are 52 independent non-profit housing organizations that operate social housing across the city
- The demand for social housing is much greater than the supply
- There are approximately 10,000 households on the centralized waiting list for social housing
- Wait times for social housing in Ottawa can be up to five years or more
Applying for social housing
To apply for social housing in Ottawa, contact The Social Housing Registry.
You can also download and print the Application Form for Subsidized Housing, which contains all of the required information and documents.
For information on the social housing providers and communities in the City of Ottawa, please review The Social Housing Registry – List of Housing Providers.
If you need help with living costs, please contact 3-1-1, select language of choice and "4" for Social Services.