Permanent signs on private property

On this page

Permanent Signs on Private Property

You may have to apply for a permit before installing a permanent sign on your property.

The Permanent Signs on Private Property By-law (No. 2016-326) regulates the design, construction, installation, relocation, alteration, and repair of permanent signs located on private property in the City of Ottawa. Temporary signs are governed by a different by-law.

Before you apply for a sign permit, you need to know your property’s zoning, since different sign permissions apply in different zones. Find or confirm your zoning through the “How to find your zoning” section of the Comprehensive Zoning By-law.

Questions? Call 613-580-2424, ext. 41162, or email