In response to the ongoing pandemic, the following practices and precautions are in place at the Trail Waste Facility to keep both the public and staff safe, and must be observed by all individuals attending the landfill:
- Payment is contactless (i.e., Interac, Visa, MasterCard, Amex) at the scale house to address physical distancing requirements.
- The public will be permitted to sort their materials at the small load deposit area, however – sorting materials in advance is recommended.
- Residents will be required to practice social distancing while in the landfill.
The facility will also be open to the public on the following Saturdays, from 9 am to 5 pm:
- January 16, 2021
- February 6, 2021
- February 20, 2021
Ottawa residents and businesses can dispose of waste material at this facility. The Trail Road Waste Facility only accepts non-hazardous waste generated within the geographic boundaries of the City of Ottawa.
- Household hazardous waste is NOT accepted
- Liquid waste is NOT accepted
An environmental assessment to expand the Trail Road Waste Facility was approved in June of 2005. The expansion will provide an additional 10 to 40 years past 2008, depending on how much future waste can be successfully diverted from the landfill. Documents on the Trail Waste Facility Landfill Optimization/Expansion Project are available to the public at the Ottawa Public Library.
Location and hours of operation
Please note: The landfill site is open to the public during the hours listed below.
4475 Trail Road (off Moodie Drive, south of Fallowfield Road)
Monday to Friday: 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
On the following Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- January 2, 2021
- January 16, 2021
- February 6, 2021
- February 20, 2021
Safety equipment requirements
CSA-certified green patch footwear and hi-visibility clothing is required for all persons using the Main Disposal Area or Small Load Area #2 (at the tipping face). Persons who do not have the required protective clothing will continue to have access to the Small Load Area #1. These changes are being introduced in order to ensure the safety of everyone on site. Should you have any questions, please contact the City at 3-1-1.
Note: Rates are effective as of February 1, 2021
The Trail Road Waste Facility Scale House accepts the following payment methods:
All landfill fees, except for the potting soil sales, are exempt from HST. Potting soil is available for purchase while quantities last.
|*Residential, commercial, demolition and construction garbage
||Minimum fee applies <100 kg - Flat rate $11.65, otherwise charged by the weight in tonnes times the rate
|Soil/fill, (top soil, sand, sod)
||$28.50/tonne (<200kg mininum is $5.70)
||Must be free of waste. Large quantities over 5 tonnes must be pre-approved. Please contact 311 for more information.
|Fill (asphalt, masonry, concrete without rebar)
||$56.00/tonne (<200kg is $11.20
||Must be free of waste.
||$39.50/tonne (<200kg is $7.90)
||$228.00/tonne (minimum $22.80<100 kg)
||As per definition of farm waste from registered farms only.
|Mixed garbage,brush, cardboard or recyclables
||$233.00/tonne (minimum $58.25<250 kg)
||If recyclable content is more than 10 per cent in volume. Recyclables: brush, cardboard, metal, glass, plastic)
||$515.00/tonne (minimum charge of $128.75)
- As per Ontario Ministry of the Environment requirements.
- Appointment required. All vehicles must arrive on site before 9 a.m.
- The City reserves the right to limit or refuse the acceptance of asbestos at the Trail Waste Facility. Asbestos must be contained in a rigid, impermeable, sealed container of sufficient strength to accommodate the weight and nature of this waste. If the container is a cardboard box, the asbestos must be in a sealed 6 mil polyethylene bag free of punctures, tears or leaks which is placed within the box.
- The unloading of asbestos shall only be done in the presence of a landfill facility operator to ensure that no loose asbestos or broken containers are unloaded and that no airborne particulate is generated.
Brush/yard waste and recyclable materials
|*** Brush and yard waste
||Material must be less than 4 inches or 12 cm in diameter. Larger source separated material is garbage ($116.50/tonne). Minimum fee applies if <100 kg. Flat rate of $3.95, otherwise charged by the weight in tonnes times the rate.
- Passenger and light truck tires
- Maximum of 10 passenger and light truck tires per day from any person
- Tires with rims
|**Cardboard (black bin)
||Source separated cardboard (no garbage). Minimum fee applies if <100 kg. Flat rate of $5.60, otherwise charged by the weight in tonnes times the rate.
||Source separated metals (no garbage)
||Source separated electronic waste (no garbage)
|Glass, metal and plastic (blue bin material)
||Source separated glass, metal and plastic (no garbage)
<= 200kg (minimum) $8.60
>200 kg (per tonne) $43.00
|Potting soil is available for purchase while quantities last
* If tipping load is less than 100 kg, a flat rate of $11.60 is charged. Otherwise the load is charged by the weight in tonnes times the rate posted.
**If tipping load is less than 100 kg, a flat rate of $5.60 is charged. Otherwise the load is charged by the weight in tonnes times the rate posted.
***If tipping load is less than 100 kg, a flat rate of $3.95. Otherwise the load is charged by the weight in tonnes times the differential rate.
- We do NOT accept liquid waste in the landfill.
- We do NOT accept hazardous waste at the landfill.
- Oil tanks/drums MUST be cut in half or perforated many times. If you are not equipped to safely and properly perform this work, please contact a waste disposal company to remove the tank/drum.
- Safety requirement: Steel toe boots and high visibility vests must be worn at main tipping areas.
- Payment options: Interac, Visa, AMEX and MasterCard. Please note: Until further notice the Trail Road Waste Facility, we will not be accepting cash or personal cheques as a method of payment.